Friday, November 16, 2012

R-34 scale model project...Cutting out the keel blanks.

I started construction of this model on January 12, 2012, by mounting two full size copies of the hull plans on 1/16" sheet stock balsa wood using double stick tape, and proceeded to cut out the two keel blanks. One horizontal keel piece and one vertical keel piece. After the balsa pieces were cut out, using the ring grid lines that were marked on the pattern papers, I marked all the ring line places on the edges of the keel blanks using a Sharpie pen.
 Removing the paper patterns from the blanks, the first lines I drew on both sides of the blanks was the central axis line of the ship, dividing each blank into halves. Then I marked the "ring" lines, and marked each ring line with it's corresponding number where I would install each ring former, later.


Then I picked which keel blank would be the vertical keel "assembly", and left this intact. The remaining keel assembly became the horizontal keel , and as such, I cut this one right down the middle, so I can install one on one side of the vertical keel, and the other half on the other side of the vertical keel. What you see in the bottom picture is the ending results for that first day of construction for the model. The above picture shows me dry fitting the one horizontal keel half to the model to check that the alignment of the ring marker lines are correct, and they were.
Stay tuned.

Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pensupreme and other vintage milk cartons... do people collect these?

 In the last year, I have noticed how a lot of people collect vintage glass milk bottles, which I remember when I was a kid, how the milkman...