Sunday, November 11, 2012

R-34 scale model project...continued from Airship Modeler



In the hopes that some of the people that used to be members of what I must declare a dead forum, "Airship Modeler", and they still have this blog address, I am going to continue my "HMA R-34" project right here on my blog, once I start to work on the model again.

And now a brief synopsis of this dirigible, for people who never saw my posts about it on Airship Modeler.

HMA R-34 was a British rigid airship built in the style of a captured World War I Zeppelin type airship, built originally to bomb Germany, but it was built too late, as the war ended before the 640 foot airship could enter service. It was  completed in 1918, after the war ended. In 1919, after the airship had been fully flight tested, it was decided to attempt to make the first non stop trans oceanic flight by any aircraft across the Atlantic, by first flying to North America, then back again, after a layover in I believe New York. It was able to accomplish this by July of that year, to the jubilation of most of the free world. One of the observers on that flight was the future  commander of the airship "U.S.S. Shenandoah",  Zachary Lansdowne.

In honor of this ship's accomplishment, I decided in 2009, after I completed my Shenandoah model, to build the R-34 in this same scale, to hopefully have it completed in time for this ship's 100th anniversary of its historic flight in 2019.

The model is still not complete, but I will post earlier progress pictures of the framing out of the hull, and the covering of it, thereof. The top image shows the plan that I am working from to build the thing. The image below, here, is a photo of the ship after it landed in New York after the East to West crossing, before the layover, and refueling, and restocking to fly back.

Click on the "Jim's Junk!" title at the top of this post to see the newest and subsequent installments of this model's construction progress. Or you can also click on the "Home" button on the bottom of this post to take you there.

Jim.




2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see more. I do hope AirshipModeler can get back online though.~hlostoops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for responding, Hendrick!! you don't know what that means to me. Now I know that I am not all alone, here, in trying to repost this all here. It is going to take me some time to get this up to the point where I was when I posted the progress on this model in real time on Airship Modeler. I still not have resumed work on this project yet,but I have the feelinig that it won't be too long anymore.

    Jim.("Dirigible_Nut" on Airship Modeler)

    ReplyDelete

Pensupreme and other vintage milk cartons... do people collect these?

 In the last year, I have noticed how a lot of people collect vintage glass milk bottles, which I remember when I was a kid, how the milkman...