Saturday, November 3, 2012

AMT's 1928 Porter from "My Mother The Car" from 1965.

Here is a relic from TV shows gone bad from days gone by. Of course, this is AMT's one time issue of the "1928 Porter", "Mother" from the Jerry Van Dyke show, "My Mother The Car" The show was based on the concept that a man's mom, one David Crabtree's, had passed away and her spirit was incarnated into this 1928 Porter, and the car comes alive. Goofy concept, for bad TV, but hey what do you expect for 1965 television? I was glued to the screen each week, as I thought this was the coolest looking car on the face of the Earth. I really thought there was such a car for real as a 1928 Porter. I knew as soon as I saw that first episode, I had to have a model of it.
Of course, this was the golden age of 1/25 scale model car kits, so AMT stepped up to the plate, and produced this kit in early 1966.
Beings that at the time, I was only eight years old, I could not yet build model kits very good, and all my attempts to build this model ended in a glue-smeared wreck. My parents got this kit for me 3 times. The last time I got it, the show was already cancelled, and off the air, and I was heartbroken, not being able to see the car gracing my black and white Motorola 25" TV screen anymore. Unlike the preceeding two kits, this one did come out somewhat fair, but still glue smeared. My parents got this last kit for my at a bulk discount store in late 1966 for fifty cents. I still, after I built it, I played with it to death, and it, too was destroyed.
Fast forward to the 1980's, when I started to play around with REAL antique cars, and I started to go to old car shows and swap meets. I started finding the old model kits, and dealer promotional models that I got, and destroyed when I was a kid, and started to build up my collection like I had back then.
In, I believe, 1983, I was walking past a vendor at the big Fall Carlisle car show and swap meet, and he had about 15 old AMT kits stacked up on his table. One of them was this beat up old 1965 AMT My Mother The Car kit box. He said the kit was 100% complete, nothing missing. I told him I was trying to find one of these for years. He said, "Gimmie $15.00, and it's yours!" So that is how I got a fourth chance to build this model again, as I still think the car from this show is cool looking.
I never realized, though, how many inaccuracies are in this kit, compared to the real car, such as the fact that AMT based their replica on a 1927 Ford Model T touring car body, instead of the 1924 model T Ford body that was actually used in creating this car. The actual car is much more lower slung than this kit is. The tires on the actual car are much fatter, are wide whitewalls, and run in much smaller diameter chrome wire spoke wheels, as opposed to the bigger stock model T's painted wire spoke wheels.
Nonetheless, this model somewhat captures the essence of the original show's car, and still is the only scale replica ever made of this car, of which only two were really built for the short lived show.
I tried to be very careful with this then 17 year old kit, and painted it up to the best of my ability, according to the original copyrighted 1965 box art and instruction sheet that came with the kit.
The model you see here, today, is the result of that effort I did in 1983, to preserve a piece of American automotive and television history. After searching the internet, these pictures here, are the only ones of this kit  that show an intact, and completed model.

"Everybody knows in the second life, we all come back sooner or later. As anything from a pussycat to a man-eating alligator. But the truth may mean my story, is more fiction than it's fact, but believe it or not my Mother dear, decided she'd come back. As a car. She's my very own guiding star. A 1928 Porter. And that's my Mother, dear. She helps me through everything I do, and I'm so glad she's here. My Mother The Car. My Mother The Car!"

To show how nuts I am about this car/show I typed this from memory.

My mom says I was, and am the only  fan of this show. I don't think so. :-D

Jim.



6 comments:

  1. Jim, I have a 1965 Buick Electra that I would like you to complete some work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean? Also, I think you commented on the wrong post, as this is my AMT My Mother the Car model car post, and not about my cardboard '65 Electra model. This Electra model was not a mass produced item. It was a one off that I built back in 1987 when I was 29 years old. I don't know if I could build such a model today as this, plus the fact that I have turned my modeling skills in a completely different direction as of late.

    Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe it or not, I am currently working on a full size replica of this car. I've done quite a bit of research, including meeting the owner of one of the original cars.

    Dave B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a huge fan of the show, "My Mother the Car.Cheesy? Yeah. But as a child, I was apparently easily entertained. There have been several instances through the years where I'm included in a group discussion of favorite childhood television shows.Then ,I bring up My mother the car...the room falls silent. I swear, they think I am making it up. lol. I was absolutely glued to the television when it'd air. One season? I was heartbroken. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That show was just as good as some that are getting air-time today. The writing may not have been spot-on, but the acting was good and it had its moments. My friend actually owns the real car today, and I have taken some photos of it just a few months ago. (with a former star of the show)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, you're not the only fan of the show, or the car. There are a bunch of us out there! I also bought the AMT kit and did the best job I could with it, while I watched the antics of Jerry Van Dyke and Avery Schreiber. It wasn't until I pursued an opportunity provided by my combined interests in tv and old cars, and acquired the hero car from the tv series, that I fully understood the inaccuracies of the AMT kit. The full-sized car, preserved and functional, occupies my efforts, but I'm a scale modeller from a way back and still appreciate good work (as yours is) in modelling, especially of the unusual tv/movie (and sci-fi) subjects. I'd always hoped there could be an accurate 1:25 scale Porter model, but scratchbuilding one--so far the only option--would be a challenge. A fan whom I advised is working on one, made by modifying the hard-to-find '24 Ford T touring kit by Sunstar.

      Delete

Pensupreme and other vintage milk cartons... do people collect these?

 In the last year, I have noticed how a lot of people collect vintage glass milk bottles, which I remember when I was a kid, how the milkman...