Thursday, November 29, 2012

R-34 scale model project...Rudders and elevator flaps fabricated and dry fitted to fins.

The next step was to fabricate the rudders and elevator flaps. These were cut out of 1/32" stock sheet balsa wood, and all the exposed edges and surfaces were laminated with acid free printer paper to give a smooth surface for painting purposes. I drew the paint definition lines on the flaps for where the red, white and blue paint is going to be applied later on.
 I then dry fitted them to the locator pins on the back ends of the fins, and trimmed them for a precise fit.




After they were dry fitted to the model to my satisfaction, I removed them, and fabricated the little counterbalance weights that are fitted on each side of the rudder flaps, as shown in the photo of the tail of the actual ship in the top image.
This bottom photo shows the rudder and elevator flaps completed, ready to paint, and tagged as to where they fit on the model. They will not interchange, as each one of them was precisely fitted  to their respective fin, and will not fit anywhere else.

Note; This ends the reproduction of this thread as I reported it on Airship Modeler, in March of 2012, as this is the point where I stopped working on the model in real time, because of health issues I was having at the time. I will do more posts after I resume work on this model, which should be shortly, during the overwinter months, starting with the fabrication of the control car, and engine gondolas. That will be next, in real time.

Jim.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! (as always) Photo #3 looks almost like a completed, cloth covered ship. I also thought I'd mention, I will be restarting my 3D Hindenburg interior model from AirshipModeler on my blog at: http://zeppelinheim.blogspot.com/ .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea, Hendrick. Stay connected with Blogspot!
    Thanks for the kind comments.

    Jim.

    ReplyDelete

Pensupreme and other vintage milk cartons... do people collect these?

 In the last year, I have noticed how a lot of people collect vintage glass milk bottles, which I remember when I was a kid, how the milkman...