Monday, November 19, 2012

R-34 scale model project...Covering the bow.

Tissue paper was applied in narrow strips, one gore at a time. The strips were cut slightly wider than the space that needed to be covered. If I try to cover more than half the hull at a time, I do not have enough time to wet down the frame with the dope as an adhesive on the frame, to apply the paper, as the stuff dries very quickly. Usually within 4 minutes from the time it is brushed on. I cut each strip ahead of time, applied the dope, then laid the paper on the two stringers, making sure it is put on as smooth and wrinkle free as possible without tearing it. This stuff is extremely delicate to work with, it tears easy! After the strip is in place, I had to brush more dope over the area of the paper where it makes contact with the strip. This gets the adhesive the whole way through the paper, and when it is dry, locks it on the frame. Also to double make sure that it stays on, I have to rub the contact area down with my fingertip to make sure also that the paper has indeed adhered to the frame. I then apply strips to every other gore until I get the whole way around the hull. Then I go one more time around, and start to cover the gores in between the ones I covered the first time around. Where the paper overlaps, those seams must be sealed with dope to smooth the seams over, and make the cover look smooth.
 Follow along in this chronological sequence of images as I cover the bow half of the hull.
 As I was applying the tissue paper strips, I had to be really careful NOT to cover the whole strip of paper with the dope, as the middle of the strip between the stringers needs to be unsealed for shrinkage purposes after the entire hull is covered to draw the paper tight to give the model a tight smooth surface, ready for sealing and painting down the road, after it is shrunk. I will explain this later.

 Bow covering completed!


Model aircraft dope is very volatile, and you need to have very good ventilation air flow while working with this stuff as it really reeks bad while you are working with it.



Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pensupreme and other vintage milk cartons... do people collect these?

 In the last year, I have noticed how a lot of people collect vintage glass milk bottles, which I remember when I was a kid, how the milkman...