Friday, May 24, 2019

Non-bilateral gynandromorph Cecropia Moth.



This is, I believe, a non bilateral gynandromorph Cecropia Moth. What that means is, It has features of both sexes in one individual. This moth eclosed about 2 weeks ago, of which I first thought was a normal male. But it started acting odd, doing things a normal male OR female Cecropia would not do. It was gyrating its abdomen in circular movement, and I thought it was injured or something. Later on it did it again, and this time I really looked at "him", and my eyes grew open wide. Here, its abdomen was the size of a females abdomen, even after his wings were fully dried and hardened. I went to get it out of the emergence cage, and turned him over. That is when my eyes could not believe what I was seeing. He opened his anal claspers to reveal dual sex organs, both an ovipositor, and directly below that, a reduced penis. The last time I saw that was in a gynandromorph Luna Moth I raised back around 2003. Aberration that does not happen very often, but it does happen. This specimen is proof of that...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pensupreme and other vintage milk cartons... do people collect these?

 In the last year, I have noticed how a lot of people collect vintage glass milk bottles, which I remember when I was a kid, how the milkman...