Monday, September 17, 2012

Rockford Plantation house miniature.

Maple wood model of the Rockford plantation house in Lancaster I made while I was working at Sensenich Corporation, wood products division, at Lancaster Airport in 1977. most details are hand painted on after making the basic shape details of the house. Windows and doors are pieces of acid free paper that I hand drew the details on using what was the equivalent of a sharpie marker. Model is small. It will fit on the palm of my hand. The footprint of this model is about 5 inches by 3 inches, with the wraparound porches and such. Porch pillars were made by hand out of very small but long square strips of maple that I sanded round on a big belt sander, then cut to length to fit the porch height. Rockford House is a significant part of Lancaster County history as it was the home of General Edward Hand, involved in the Revolutionary War, around 1775 through 1784.
This model is not one of my better efforts, as I did this when I was 19 years old, and the model is based on some freehand sketches I did on site at Rock Ford plantation, itself on the south side of Lancaster City, PA, in what I believe in late 1977. The actual house was restored in 1960. The original bank barn that Hand built on the property had burned down a long time ago, but was rebuilt sometime in the 1980's.
 Nonetheless, for it's diminutive size size, it is a unique model, done in what some people would call in a "Folk Art" style.
 Backside.
Front. Note that I put the wintertime wooden window well covers where the basement windows are at. In recent years, these are not installed on the actual house, now. But at the time I built this model, they were there. If you are ever are in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Rockford Plantation is a very worthy historical site to visit. It is located on the very southern edge of Lancaster City.

Link;
http://www.rockfordplantation.org/index.htm

Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pensupreme and other vintage milk cartons... do people collect these?

 In the last year, I have noticed how a lot of people collect vintage glass milk bottles, which I remember when I was a kid, how the milkman...