Friday, August 10, 2012

1957 Chevy Bel Air 4 door Sports Sedan Hardtop 1/25 scale model-Revisited!

Beings that since I posted about this model back in 2010,  it has become my most popular post.  I thought I would revisit it with better, brand new digital photos of this model, that I just took, today. Now you can see this 1984 built AMT/Jo-Han scale model in somewhat more detail. It is a little over 8" long in 1/25 scale.
For these photos, I took the clear cover off the display box, and took the model outside to photograph it.
For a model that I built 28 years ago, I think it came out nice, and it still is very presentable! It is far from perfect but scale model kit builds of this body style of '57 Bel Air 4 door hardtops are practically non-existent.
 That is why I combined an AMT 1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 door hardtop kit with a Jo-Han/Ex-El products 1956 Pontiac Star Chief 4 door Catalina hardtop reproduction dealer promotional model to make this model.
Door lines on the body needed to be filled in and rescribed. Door handles needed to be shaved off and rebuilt in different spots.
The interior cavity opening in the body needed lengthened to accommodate the longer interior box and 4 door hardtop roof.  The back half of the interior box needed to be totally cut away, including the complete removal of the coupe rear arm rests, reconstructed, as well as lengthened, including rebuilding the package shelf, new rear door panels, new arm rests, as well as extending the width of the back seat, and making the coupe split back front seat into a sedan type solid back front seat. The window assembly came from a junked AMT original AMT 1957 Pontiac Star Chief Catalina 4 door hardtop friction promotional model. It fit my body shell without my having to modify it. I also added a turn signal lever to the steering column, as this is missing from the AMT kit. In that time period 1956 and 1957, Pontiac and Chevrolet shared the same hardtop roof sheet metal.
  The AMT '57 Chevy kit has the hood bar molded in as an integral part of the bumper grille assembly.

  
For this model, I cut the piece free from this assembly and attached it to the front of the hood as per the actual car.
A close up shot of this detail

This model is a replica of a yellow and white '57 Bel Air 4 door hardtop that I owned from 1980 through 1983. My dad made me sell it because he said that it was junk, and it would never be worth anything. I had alot of misgivings about this, but I was still "just a kid that did not know anything". so I did not really have a choice.The choices I did have were, either sell the car, or my dad would have booted me out of the house. There was no way that I could afford that, so I sold the car at a tremendous loss. My building this model was a consolation to me.
I thought you might enjoy seeing these images of this what I consider to be a nicer body style than the two door hardtop. I tried to open the hood to photograph the fully painted and detailed engine compartmet, but it was stuck shut. I have not opened it in about 15 years, and I was afraid if I would have used too much force, that I would have damaged the model. So I let it go.
                        So enjoy the images that I was able to take of this one of a kind model car.
Grille, and Chevrolet coat of arms on grille bar.
Let's zoom up on this view!
                                                 Oh, them cool '57 taillights!!

Here is the original post from 2010.

http://jayveejayaresjunk.blogspot.com/2010/11/1957-chevy-bel-air-4-door-sports-sedan.html


Jim.

5 comments:

  1. With just one look and you get hooked! That’s how I felt when I see your model. I can’t believe my eyes, I thought it’s real! Haha! ` 50’s models are really impressive! They all had the attitude and personality I always look for a car.

    Leisa Dreps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im trying to find a model 57 chevy 4 door bel air hard top blue same as our real car this model is so cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you would click on the link at the end of this post,it will take you to the original post I did about this model in 2010. I did not "find" this model, I did some serious kitbashing to build this model. That original post explains roughly how I built this. It is a one off model. And I did it in 1984, almost 30 years ago now.

    Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Bel Air Sport Sedan looks perfect! Congratulations on such a fine build, especially considering the age of the model. I also prefer the Sport Sedan over the Sport Coupe. I have inquired as to whether Modelhaus will ever offer a resin kit of this car, and in that process learned that Don Holthaus' first car was a 1957 Bel Air Sport Sedan. So I guess we can hope it will be available someday. I have the necessary AMT and JoHan donor cars but would prefer a ready to paint and detail resin kit of Modelhaus quality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice , I am looking for the same one 4 door Hardtop in Red, with a white top, Red/black interior...

    Joe

    ReplyDelete

Pensupreme and other vintage milk cartons... do people collect these?

 In the last year, I have noticed how a lot of people collect vintage glass milk bottles, which I remember when I was a kid, how the milkman...