Monday, April 21, 2014

R-34 scale model project... Completely done and on display; April 21, 2014!!





I finally completed all work on the R-34 airship model, today, about 2 years and 3 months after I cut out the keels for the thing.I actually was not working on it steadily most of that time because of some bad health issues I had to deal with along the way. Now that the model is done, any subsequent pictures that are taken of the model will go in this final post of this subject. It is completed 5 years and 3 months ahead of the 100th anniversary of this historic vessel of the air's double trans Atlantic flight which took place in July of 1919.







In the above picture, you will notice the upward horizontal cant or dihedral angle of the horizontal fins on this model. This is correct, and not a mistake, as the actual ship had this feature. It provided extra aerodynamic lift for the tail as the ship was moving through the air to supplement the static lift of the hydrogen gas in the  gas cells in the ship. Picture below shows this feature in the actual ship.




 Above, what my model looks like in a Sepia tone style photo that looks like it was taken in 1919.
Same image in normal color with brightness and contrast adjusted.


Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pensupreme and other vintage milk cartons... do people collect these?

 In the last year, I have noticed how a lot of people collect vintage glass milk bottles, which I remember when I was a kid, how the milkman...