Friday, January 3, 2014

USS Shenandoah scale model project completed 5 years ago this year.




This coming March will mark the fifth anniversary of my completion of this scratch built model of the U S Navy's first home built rigid airship Shenandoah which was completed in 1923 but was destroyed in a thunderstorm on September 3, 1925, with the loss of 14 of the 25 lives on board. The  21-1/2 inch long model is 1/388th scale. It is made of balsawood and covered with doped tissue paper. The actual airship was 682 feet long.

The model is aging very well without problems, as this is a new photo that I took of the thing, today.


Jim.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear that the model is aging well. Congratulations on a special fifth anniversary ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jim, very surprised to find your blog and excited really too. Went Google searching "ZR-1" as that is the marking on the nose of an airship of which I have two large photos dated 1923. Great photos which I would be happy to give you pictures of. I've owned these pics for a long time and am preparing to offer them for sale on ebay. I don't even know how they go into my possession except that my father was a photographer and photo collector and certainly an airship enthusiast. Both he and I were born in the neighborhood not far from Lakehurst Naval Air Station, Lakehurst, New Jersy, which is definitely where these photos were taken as they are clearly marked. Oddly enough, no name of the airship appears in the photo, but it definitely is the Shenandoah. If I were able to upload pictures with this comment right now, you would have them. The pictures are in pretty great shape considering they are getting very close to one hundred years old. If you have an address to which I can send an email, I'll photograph them and attach them for you. You've done great work on your models. I can see you're very skilled and talented. If you shoot me an email, I'll write you back and send pictures. My best email address is gindoff@att.net. I'm in the process of figuring out the $ value of the pictures, as, as I said, I'm about to attempt to sell them on ebay. Let me know if you have any interest in buying them yourself. Anyway, great to stumble upon your blog. Best of luck, Howard Gindoff

    ReplyDelete

Pensupreme and other vintage milk cartons... do people collect these?

 In the last year, I have noticed how a lot of people collect vintage glass milk bottles, which I remember when I was a kid, how the milkman...