Tuesday, April 24, 2012

1976 buildup of AMT's 1/16 scale '57 Chevy Bel Air hardtop coupe: One of my favorites.


One of my favorite old 1957 Chevy models (I have about 20 different '57 Chevy models, total) is this big 1/16 scale AMT '57 Bel Air coupe kit which was re issued in late 1976, which was when I built this model. It originally was designed for the doors to open and shut, as well as the hood. I couldn't get the doors to stay closed right, so I glued them shut around 1980. The hinges on the hood broke, so I made the hood function by gluing kite string on the back corners of the hood, and glued the other ends of the string to the corners of the cowl.

It is painted 1970's Pactra "insignia orange" and white. I painted the engine Pactra "insignia red", which is incorrect,but I didn't give a rip  back then, as I only painted engines back then in these bigger kits. The interior, for most part, I left the bare white plastic, but I painted the seat insets, floor, the door panel insets, and the dash top, flat black. This model is close to a foot long, and for the time it was issued, has more detail than their standard 1/25 scale kit. I painted all the bright metal trim on in Pactra chrome silver paint, to finish it up. Beings as I was still kind of an inexperienced model builder, there is some glue melt damage, as well as paint mess-ups. It has also suffered some damage over the years, but I was always able to repair it, to a degree. I think the model still looks nice, for it's age.

It may be a little scruffy, and tired looking around the edges, but as far as I'm concerned, this gives this model a sense of old historical character, like it has been around for awhile, which it has.

Below are more images that I just took on this past Saturday, April 21, (2012)

Jim.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Pensupreme and other vintage milk cartons... do people collect these?

 In the last year, I have noticed how a lot of people collect vintage glass milk bottles, which I remember when I was a kid, how the milkman...