Tuesday, November 9, 2010

1969 Buick Electra 225 coupe 1/25 scale model "half & half" scratch build.


Here is a model that I actually built before I built the model of the green Electra coupe on my last post. This is a scratch built model of my 1969 Buick that I got in the spring of 1978 to replace the green '65 that I was driving.

This model entailed the use of an AMT 1969 Buick Wildcat kit that I had to very highly modify to turn it into a 1969 Electra coupe. From the back edges of the doors to the back bumper, inclusive, including the back half of the roof is entirely made out of carved, and sanded to shape balsa wood. This was not an easy job, as the Electra's back end is a completely different shape than the back end of the Wildcat, but the front of the car is basically the same. The front grille had to be cut out of the front bumper frame assembly, as the Electra has an egg crate style grille, whereas the wildcat has a more linear grille. I also had to cut the headlight assemblies from the Wildcat grille, so I could glue them to the Electra grille, which I made from small pieces of aluminum screening, which I then painted silver to try to hide the woven look of the screen mesh, to try to make the squares look more like a flat surface. On the front fenders, behind the wheel openings, I had to file/sand off the Wildcat "louvres" that were there, and replace them with the Electra quad portholes that are above the "sweep spear" moulding line above, and behind the front wheel opening, but in front of the door. The portholes are made out of thick gauge paper, as are the wide rocker and quarter panel mouldings that are on the model. The rear window "glass" is acetate. Before I painted the body, I sealed the balsa surface with balsa sanding sealer, sanded it again after that, and repeated until I got the wood surface as smooth as I felt that I could get it. Then I scribed the lines for the rear fender skirts, and the trunk lid. Then I attached the trim, ready for paint. The body was then detail painted, then, I was able to assemble the model normally using the rest of the parts that the kit came with.

This model is FAR from perfect, but it is a model of one of the cars that I drove in my early years. Why model manufacturers ignore the Electra 225 , I do not understand!! It is one of the most consistently beautiful cars, year after year, that GM ever built. Long live the "Deuce and a Quarter"!!

This model was custom built in 1979, when I was 21 years old.

Jim.

May 24, 2011-- P.S.- I just found the negative to what I thought was a lost picture of me with my 1969 Buick Electra 225 Custom coupe taken in May of 1978. I'm 20 years old here.--- There is also another reprint of an old picture from the same negative strip of the actual car that I had, parked along the street in Lancaster PA, where I grew up. Also, I added three more images of the model that I took at the same time as the other pics of the model, but I never posted them, until now. JRVJR.




2 comments:

  1. Jim, I cannot fully describe how good seeing your model made me feel. I was about 14 when I first noticed the '69. I bought it in 1978 and put the sweat of my life into that thing. It is one of the most capable luxury grand touring cars ever built. Seeing the long flanks, skirts, and curves of her winglets and rear bumper was a shock. I know that nobody makes the kit.
    I owned a '69 in Coffee Brown (repaint), Sea Foam Green, Regal Black, (2) Burnished Brown, and Crystal Blue; 6 in all. I raced 2 of them. Look up "Tuskegee Airmen's Faithful Pursuit". God Speed! maj2nd@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, this model of yours looks EXACTLY like the car I once owned & drove when I was still young in the Navy, serving on my first ship, back in 1985. I mean you seriously nailed it. The best I can do so far, to add this to my collection is to get a 3D printer and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete

Pensupreme and other vintage milk cartons... do people collect these?

 In the last year, I have noticed how a lot of people collect vintage glass milk bottles, which I remember when I was a kid, how the milkman...